THE ROLE OF ORGANIZATIONAL UNITS OF THE SERBIAN POLICE DIRECTORATE IN THE SYSTEM OF DISASTER RISK REDUCTION AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Emergency situations caused by natural and other disasters in the Republic of Serbia are becoming more frequent. The primary strength of the disaster risk reduction and emergency management system in the response phase are the professional fire and rescue units of the Sector for emergency management. Respecting the principle of gradual use of operational staff, in a situation when professional fire and rescue units do not have sufficient capacity to react, members of organizational units of the Police Directorate join them. The floods are characteristic because of the engagement of members of the Gendarmerie, Helicopter unit, special police units, as well as members of the police of general jurisdiction and traffic police. The engagement of members of the Gendarmerie and the Helicopter unit when forest fires occur is of great benefit and represents a significant operational assistance to professional fire and rescue units. In cases of international rescue assistance sent to the Republic of Serbia, the role of members of the border police is also recognizable. In addition to the operational part, the role of the organizational units of the Police Directorate is reflected in the preventive phase through engagement in various field exercises with the aim of increasing systemic operational efficiency and effectiveness.
2. Kekić, D. et all. (2021). Ministry of Internal Affairs and Police Organization in the Republic of Serbia. Global perspectives in policing and law enforcement. Lexington books – edited by Jospeter M. Mbuba.
3. Law on Disaster Risk Reduction and Emergency Management, Official Gazette of RS, 87/2018
4. Ministry of interior. (2021). Accessed on August 15, 2021. http://www.mup.gov.rs/wps/portal/sr/direkcija-policije/nadleznost
5. Ministry of interior. (2021). Accessed on August 18, 2021. http://www.mup.gov.rs/wps/portal/sr/direkcijapolicije/ojdpp/Uprava+saobracajne+policije
6. Ministry of interior. (2019). Presentaion: Search and rescue
7. Ministry of interior. (2021). Accessed on August 21, 2021. http://www.mup.gov.rs/wps/portal/sr/direkcija-policije/ojdpp/Zandarmerija
8. Role of police in disaster/emergency. (2020). SOP for Police during Natural Disaster. Accessed on August 10, 2021. http://bipard.bihar.gov.in/ebooks/Research/SOP.pdf
9. Stevanović, O. (2019). Security Management. Belgrade: University of Criminal Investigation and Police Studies. [original: Stevanović; O. 2019. Beograd: Bezbednosni menadžment. Kriminalističko-policijski univerzitet]
10. Telegraf. (2021). Serbian police helicopter unit takes off for Greece to help put out fires burning for 6 days. Accessed on August 25, 2021. https://www.telegraf.rs/english/3374531-serbian-police-helicopter-unit-takes-off-for-greece-to-help-put-out-fires-burning-for-6-days
11. OmniSci. (2021). Disaster management phases. Accessed on August 5, 2021. https://www.omnisci.com/technical-glossary/emergency-management
12. University of criminal investigation and police studies. (2021). Accessed on August 23, 2021. http://eng.kpu.edu.rs/studies/graduate/art-mas-managing-security-risk.html
13. World bank group, et all. (2014). Serbia floods 2014: Serbia RNA report.